Thursday 16 August 2012

Persian horse archers

Just finished these, some of which may have been present at Plataea:
Willy passed them onto me after I painted some units for him; I think the figs are by 1st Corps.
I deliberately painted them to be as bright as possible, using a mix of the colour schemes I have in mind for the infantry.
I tend to think of light cavalry like these as the ancient equivalent of Cossacks: full of character, with a liking for loot of various kinds.
Normally, I'd paint light horse with a grubby campaign look, but I want the Persians to be colourful.
I used quite a lot of grass and foliage on the sandy bases to make them fit the semi-arid look I'm after.  I really enjoyed painting them.  The running total for 2012 is now 243 25mm figures finished.

8 comments:

  1. Ta much - that was quick, you must have been passing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bright colours definitely work. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely done. I like a good horse archer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Paul like the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done, the ground cover on the bases is excellent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the positive waves, folks.

    ReplyDelete