Tuesday 4 August 2009

Egyptians against Hittites

Tonight was a very quick game indeed, 1750 points Egyptians versus Hittites, with Simon's figures. I don't know much about this period, and I really don't want to get into painting chariot armies, so I'm happy to let others do the hard work. It was me, Billy and William as the Egyptians against Eric and Gordon as the Hittites. Our deployment was pretty much symmetrical: light troops and chariots equally weighted on either flank of a massed infantry centre. The Hittites set up with a powerful right wing in waves of chariot attack; a hard-charging but brittle centre of heavier chariots interspersed among heavy infantry and a poor quality warband; and a lighter chariot wing on their left. I played on our left against the main Hittite attack. It was all over in less than an hour as they charged in the centre, hit reasonably hard and then were pasted. William won handsomely on his flank, and I managed to trade hits on the left, delaying it long enough for the rest of their army to disintegrate. We lost one unit of noble chariots on my flank, one unit of poor quality massed archers in the centre, and some light infantry. Good fun and fast, but not a period that grabs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment